Glossary of Book Terms

Glossary of Book Terms - l

Laid In:
The letters or sheets of paper that are inserted into a book but not glued to the book are called laid in.


Laid Paper:
It is the type of paper that was originally made in a frame or mould. The bottom of the sieves is tightened using wires and paper paste is spread out, together which leaves a mark on the paper. The markings are visible when the paper is held up to the light.


Large Paper Copy:
Large paper copy is a special edition which is printed in lesser numbers and is sold for higher price than the normal copies.  The higher price is due to the use of superior quality large papers. The large paper copy was also called as "Fine Paper Copy", "Royal Paper Copy", "Imperial Paper Copy", "Thick Paper Copy" during the 17th and 18th centuries.


Large Print:
A book that is printed with larger type so that people with visual impairment can easily read the book.


A single sheet of paper in every book is called a leaf. A leaf contains two printed pages, on either side.


A label or a slip which projects from a book’s page is called a ledgit.


Library binding:
Reinforced bindings used by many public libraries.


Limited Edition (Ltd):
Books that are published in lesser numbers for a deliberate cause are called limited edition books. Such books are usually numbered and contain the signature of the author or the illustrator.


Limp refers to the type of binding which is flexible and is made of suede or imitation leather. Such materials were used in the early titles of modern library.


A new book has a tight binding and it cannot be easily opened and pages turned. Moreover, the pages cannot remain open for a short time. But as the book ages, the bindings become loose making it easier for you to turn pages and keep the book open.


The parts of the paper of the cloth that has worn away. It is a lighter form of erosion.