Glossary of Book Terms


The covering of the book usually made of paper that is either printed or not printed is called a jacket. It is also called as Jacket (dj), Dust Wrapper (dw), dust cover or book jacket.


Glossary of Book Terms - j

Japan Vellum:
Japan Vellum is a smooth glossy paper that looks similar to vellum. It is generally in light tan color. It is also called as Japon or Japanese Vellum.


The exterior portion of the book where the cover meets the spine is called as joint. The portion is always flexible. It is often used with the term hinge which means the interior flexible portion.


The books that are written keeping children as target audience are called juveniles.


The books written by authors who are very young are called juvenilia.