Glossary of Book Terms


A tipped in page to replace a page that has been removed after a book has been bound.


When a hardcover book has its boards being covered before adjoining them with text blocks as opposed to covering them afterwards, is called case bound.


Glossary of Book Terms - c

It is the cheaply printed and sold books by the street vendors of the 18th and 19th centuries.


When small pieces of paper are missing from a book or when the edge of a paperback is missing, it is said to be chipped.


A book that is covered by cloth materials such as linen, buckram or any other textile.


Also called as shelf cocked. Cocked is a condition that results from a book being stored in the shelf for a longer duration that it leans and rests against its neighbors all the time, due to which the gravity is deformed and the spine of the book does not remain at right angles to the covers of the book.


When the leaves of a paper, parchment or any other material are gathered, it is said to be codex.


Collation is the technical term for examination and notation of a physical make-up of the book. The book is checked for the presence of every leaf or page in the volume when issued, the book is collated as complete.


Colophon is the logo or emblem of the printer or publisher that appears at the end of the book. It also appears in the bottom of the spine on the book and the dust wrapper. The logo also appears on the title page or the copyright page.


Comb Binding:
Comb binding is similar to spiral binding with the only difference that, there is a round tubular plastic piece with many teeth that fits through the small rectangular holes punched in the binding edge of the book. This type of binding is called as comb binding because, when the plastic piece is laid flat, it resembles a comb.


Conjugate Leaf:
The un-severed second half of a printed page.


Contemporary refers to the time at which an action occurred in relation to the time of printing the book. For instance, a contemporary inscription would have been dated and signed during the same year of publication.


The part of the hard cover book which forms right angles on the unbound edges of the front and back covers.


The front and back panel of the book which is bound is called covers.


Covers bound in:
When a book is rebound, the original cover including the spine is bound inside the new cover. Normally, such covers are mounted as pages at the end of the book.


Crease refers to the permanent bend to a page or a dust jacket. Sometimes, the dust jacket are removed and kept aside for safe storage. When such dust jackets are resurrected, they may contain crease.


The very top edge of the spine is called a crown.


Many modern books are smooth trimmed after being bound so that all the edges of the books are even. Such a book is described as having been cut.


Any illustrations that are printed in the text pages are said to be cuts while the whole page illustrations are termed as plates.